...

referring to both Q and A, and lateline tonight.


Call me naive sitting here in my modern[ish] Australian house, but these scare tactics about the 'population explosion' really aren't having the intended effect.

So they reckon in 20 years [2030] there'll be 9000000000 people living on this earth, demanding 50% more food and energy and 30% more fresh water.

Sounds scary, but that is 20 years away? We have a lot of time to change, and I guess I have faith that we will?

Though, Australia does have a fertility rate of only about 2.3 so really, we only gain .3 of a person every generation.

Hmm. Maybe we should be scared; but hey use a condom.

Which brings about another layer to this issue. Shoot-me, but sometimes I wonder why they make the pope out to be all that he is.

Don't use condom's he says; they cause aids.
Don't have abortion; thats killing babies.

The second, yes its true[I really don't know where I stand on this...], but the first; how fucking warped can you be? Moreover, how can you third-world-followers of his word be so literal in your understanding that you'd be dead against using any sort of contraceptive, when apparently sex before marriage; and therefore babies; hence the skyrocketing global population, is no worries to you.

So you think I'm lying? Like I said; our birthrate is around 2.3; the same for most western countries. China, Japan, Russia; well indeed most of old Europe has DECLINING populations. So who are having all these babies then?



I don't mean to Judge religion; or anything of the sort. It just quite astounds the inner scientific person I am.



H.